👋 Hello! I'm Jake Mulley. I'm a hands-on technical leader, software engineer, and technical architect, all rolled into one.
I have 10 years experience working within the public and private sectors, as well as with agencies, startups and charities.
I'm currently Lead Technical Architect at the UK government's Ministry of Justice.
Day to day, I regularly work on:
- Modernising legacy products, services, and infrastructure
- Defining and building technical architecture, specialising in serverless
- Building accessible services with progressive enhancement
- Designing data-driven and domain-driven services
- Collaborating across stakeholders to get buy-in and define technical strategies
To do this, I tend to utilise whatever is best for the job at hand, though I often use:
|Backend development||Node, Python, Ruby, Rails, PHP, Laravel, Lumen, Go|
|CI/CD pipelines||GitHub Actions, Circle, Jenkins, GoCD|
|Issue tracking||Jira, GitHub Projects|
|Version control||Git (inc. GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket)|
Lead Technical Architect at Ministry of Justice
Apr 2022 – present
I'm currently Lead Technical Architect within the Platforms and Architecture team.
Head of Hosting & Digital Operations at Ministry of Justice
Mar 2021 – Apr 2022
I worked within the Platforms and Architecture team, leading five teams to transform how the Ministry of Justice hosts services, with a clear drive towards public cloud.
The teams I lead are:
- Cloud Platform, who run a cloud-native hosting platform for modern services
- Modernisation Platform, who run a cloud-first hosting platform for older, legacy services
- Operations Engineering, who build or buy software for the benefit of and use by digital teams
- Legal Aid Agency Operations, who support Legal Aid Agency in cloud adoption
- Digital Studio Operations, who support Her Majesty’s Prison & Probation Service in cloud adoption
Technical Architect at Ministry of Justice
Aug 2020 – Mar 2021
Prior to becoming Head of Hosting & Digital Operations, I was Technical Architect for the Modernisation Platform.
The Modernisation Platform vision is:
a single platform which allows the Ministry of Justice to modernise services, and run them in a unified, scalable way
I led a multi-disciplinary team and built a platform that:
- automated environment provisioning
- automated security baselines within AWS
- enforced CI/CD for infrastructure configuration and deployment
- started to automate networking configuration to centralise networking management for legacy services
I also started to centralise and maintain best practises within the Ministry of Justice's AWS estate, including introducing:
- AWS SSO for authentication into AWS accounts
- centralised security services and monitoring
- and more...
Earlier in my career
|Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government||Mar 2019 – Aug 2020|
|UK Parliament||Oct 2016 – Mar 2019|
|GOLIN||Dec 2014 – Oct 2016|
|Hickup||Mar 2014 – Sep 2014|
|Mindwork Labs||Dec 2012 – Jul 2013|
|Premier Content Links||Nov 2012 – Dec 2012|
Want to know more?
Send me an email and ask for my CV. If you've a role in mind, please include salary details.