👋 Hello! I'm Jake Mulley. I'm a hands-on technical leader, software engineer, and technical architect, all rolled into one.
I have 10 years experience working within the public and private sectors, as well as with agencies, startups and charities.
I'm currently Head of Hosting & Digital Operations at the UK government's Ministry of Justice.
Day to day, I regularly work on:
- Modernising legacy products, services, and infrastructure
- Defining and building technical architecture, specialising in serverless
- Building accessible services with progressive enhancement
- Designing data-driven and domain-driven services
- Managing a £multi-million budget, ~80 people, and ~30 contracts
- Collaborating across stakeholders to get buy-in and define technical strategies
To do this, I tend to utilise whatever is best for the job at hand, though I often use:
|Backend development||Node, Python, Ruby, Rails, PHP, Laravel, Lumen, Go|
|CI/CD pipelines||GitHub Actions, Circle, Jenkins, GoCD|
|Issue tracking||Jira, GitHub Projects|
|Version control||Git (inc. GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket)|
Head of Hosting & Digital Operations at Ministry of Justice
Mar 2021 – present
I currently work within the Platforms and Architecture team, leading five teams to transform how the Ministry of Justice hosts services, with a clear drive towards public cloud.
The teams I lead are:
- Cloud Platform, who run a cloud-native hosting platform for modern services
- Modernisation Platform, who run a cloud-first hosting platform for older, legacy services
- Operations Engineering, who build or buy software for the benefit of and use by digital teams
- Legal Aid Agency Operations, who support Legal Aid Agency in cloud adoption
- Digital Studio Operations, who support Her Majesty’s Prison & Probation Service in cloud adoption
Technical Architect at Ministry of Justice
Aug 2020 – Mar 2021
Prior to becoming Head of Hosting & Digital Operations, I was Technical Architect for the Modernisation Platform.
The Modernisation Platform vision is:
a single platform which allows the Ministry of Justice to modernise services, and run them in a unified, scalable way
I led a multi-disciplinary team and built a platform that:
- automated environment provisioning
- automated security baselines within AWS
- enforced CI/CD for infrastructure configuration and deployment
- started to automate networking configuration to centralise networking management for legacy services
I also started to centralise and maintain best practises within the Ministry of Justice's AWS estate, including introducing:
- AWS SSO for authentication into AWS accounts
- centralised security services and monitoring
- and more...
Earlier in my career
|Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government||Mar 2019 – Aug 2020|
|UK Parliament||Oct 2016 – Mar 2019|
|GOLIN||Dec 2014 – Oct 2016|
|Hickup||Mar 2014 – Sep 2014|
|Mindwork Labs||Dec 2012 – Jul 2013|
|Premier Content Links||Nov 2012 – Dec 2012|
Want to know more?
Send me an email and ask for my CV. If you've a role in mind, please include salary details.